Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Feeling a little down today...

So today is the first day of school for Chicago Public Schools. And I still don't have a job.

I finished my masters degree in Secondary Education back in June and have been job hunting actively since March. The schools here in Chicago are really struggling, with no money to go around. I know we are in a bad economy, but it is so disheartening to put in years of hard work (6 for undergrad and grad school) and getting in debt up to my eyeballs in students loans, just to be unemployed.

I feel like I've been told since I was a small child that education is the way to better your life. You get good grades in high school so you can get into a good college, you bust your ass for four years in college so you can either enter the work force or go to grad school, then spend another two years getting an advanced degree--just knowing it will all pay off.

Everyone I've talked to says "It's not you, it's the economy" etc, etc, but I can't help but feel like I will never get a reward for all of my hard work and diligence. All I want to do is teach. I love working with youth, I have a passion for teaching literature (I'm certified to teach grades 6-12), but I am still sitting here on my couch...

I guess you don't know how much a job means until you're left without one.

No comments:

Post a Comment